How to Have an Eco-Friendly Halloween
Halloween is arguably one of the most fun holidays for children and adults alike. Dressing up and getting free candy? Yes, please! Due to the pandemic some communities are having to forego trick or treating and the usual Halloween festivities.
Unfortunately, current Halloween practices are not very eco-friendly. There is a lot of waste involved, the individually wrapped candy, plastic candy buckets and fast fashion costumes are not eco-friendly. Let’s talk about a few ways to have more eco-friendly Halloween.
I personally do not use pumpkins as decorations because I think it’s wasteful to use food as decorations. If you do use pumpkins or other squash, please be sure to compost it when you are done.
Some eco-friendly alternative decor ideas are decorated pine cones, native plants, native flowers. Or use your creativity to design your own DYI decorations made from recycled paper.
Dressing up in costumes is one of the most fun aspects of Halloween. Many store bought costumes are a result of fast fashion. They are cheaply made and won’t last long. If you are buying for kids, chances are they will grow out of the costumes by next year.
You can buy thrifted costumes or make your own. Another fun idea is to try making a costume for your existing wardrobe. Younger kids can dress up as older siblings by using their clothes, or they can dress up as mom or dad. Face paint can also be used to creatively style a costume.
Ok, so this is the best part of Halloween! The candy! Some communities are not allowing for trick-or-treating this year. And that’s ok, it’s a great opportunity to make your own candy or other Halloween treats.
Here is a family favorite vegan recipe from Dandies.com for Deluxe S’more Crispy Treats.
- One (10 ounce) package plus 1 cup Dandies® Mini Vanilla Marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 8oz chopped vegan dark chocolate or chocolate chunks, divided
- 1/3 cup vegan graham cracker crumbs
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 package Dandies® and margarine. In 30 second intervals, with a quick stir between each, microwave until fully melted. Alternatively, in a large saucepan, melt margarine with 1 package Dandies® over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat or from the microwave and stir in rice cereal until coated. Stir in half of chocolate and remaining 1 cup marshmallows.
- Lightly spray a 9” square or 9 x 13” baking pan with cooking spray (use a smaller pan for extra tall treats, a larger pan for thinner ones) and press crispy rice mixture into pan. Let cool completely.
- In a small saucepan melt remaining chocolate and spread evenly over rice treats. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs and more Dandies®, if desired. Let the chocolate set before cutting into squares.
Recipe by Dandies Marshmallows